You can never be fully secured with your Mac. That’s why we gathered the top 5 best password managers for Mac. A 2FA key is an extended hardware that acts as your encrypted key in case you feel like any malware or hacker can breach your online information soon. We picked the OnlyKey security key as the best password manager for Mac since it has the best security that can encrypt all your critical data. Read more below for the various choices.
Related: Best Password Manager
OnlyKey FIDO2/U2F Security Key
- ✅ PROTECT ONLINE ACCOUNTS – A password manager, two-factor security key, and secure communication token in one, OnlyKey can keep your accounts safe even if your computer or a website is compromised. OnlyKey is open source, verified, and trustworthy.
- ✅ UNIVERSALLY SUPPORTED – Works with all websites including Twitter, Facebook, GitHub, and Google. Onlykey supports multiple methods of two-factor authentication including FIDO2 / U2F, Yubico OTP, TOTP, Challenge-response.
- ✅ PORTABLE PROTECTION – Extremely durable, waterproof, and tamper resistant design allows you to take your OnlyKey with you everywhere.
- ✅ PIN PROTECTED – The PIN used to unlock OnlyKey is entered directly on it. This means that if this device is stolen, data remains secure, after 10 failed attempts to unlock all data is securely erased.
- ✅ EASY LOG IN –No need to remember multiple passwords because by plugging OnlyKey to your computer, it automatically inputs your username and password. It works with Windows, Mac OS, Linux, or Chromebook, just press a button to login securely!
OnlyKey is considered one of the best hardware password managers ever made, especially since it costs much lesser than other high-profile brands that do the same functions. OnlyKey has a hard encryption that keeps your accounts safe no matter what device or website you are logging into. Durable, waterproof and tamper-free, this device is handy to bring wherever you go.
Kensington VeriMark USB Fingerprint Key Reader
- Fingerprint reader with advanced fingerprint technology combines superior biometric performance and 360° readability as well as anti-spoofing protection
- Login on your Windows computer (for Windows 10 please download the latest driver from the Kensington website) using Microsoft's built-in Windows Hello login feature with just your fingerprint, no need to remember usernames and passwords; can be used with up to 10 different fingerprints so multiple users can login to the same computer
- One-way conversion of biometric data into a proprietary template format prevents re-creation, reverse-engineering or use for unintended purposes, thereby protecting the user from identity theft; All biometric data is encrypted and digitally signed using strong 256-bit advanced encryption standard and transport layer security technologies to prevent eavesdropping, tampering or fraud
- Works in any PC (including Surface Pro 7/7+/6/5/4) or docking station USB A port (USB 2. 0, 3. 0, 3. 1); also works in a USB-C port with a USB-C male to USB-A female adapter (not included)
- FIDO U2F Certified - your fingerprint can protect your cloud based accounts such as Google, Dropbox, GitHub and Facebook with FIDO second-factor authentication (requires Chrome browser)
The Kensington key manager is a more advanced type of key device that uses your fingerprint instead of password input. This also makes it easier to log into various devices or websites as the USB will rather use your fingerprint to log in, skipping all the username and password entrance.
YubiKey 5 Nano
- SECURITY KEY: Protect your online accounts against unauthorized access by using 2 factor authentication with the Yubico YubiKey 5 Nano security key - the world's most protective USB security key that works with more online services/apps than any other.
- FIDO: The YubiKey 5 Nano is FIDO certified and works with Google Chrome and any FIDO-compliant application on Windows, Mac OS or Linux. Secure your login and protect your Gmail, Facebook, Dropbox, Outlook, LastPass, Dashlane accounts, 1Password, and more.
- FITS USB-A PORTS: Once registered, each service will request you to insert the YubiKey PC security key into a USB-A port and simply tap to gain access. The extra compact size is designed to stay in the port so you can stay connected and secure anywhere.
- DURABLE AND SECURE: Extremely secure and durable, YubiKeys are tamper resistant, water resistant, and crush resistant. The YubiKey 5 Nano is designed to protect your online accounts from phishing and account takeovers.
If you want to keep everythig under a low profile, then perhaps the YubiKey 5 Nano is a great option. It’s a very small key that is so small, it is the same size as an American dime. This makes it great to hide inside your smallest pockets – great for when you don’t want anybody knowing any of your crucial information on a public device.
YubiKey 5C Nano
- SECURITY KEY: Protect your online accounts against unauthorized access by using 2 factor authentication with the Yubico YubiKey 5C Nano security key. It's the world's most protective USB security key that works with more online services/apps than any other.
- FIDO: The YubiKey 5C Nano is FIDO certified and works with Google Chrome and any FIDO-compliant application on Windows, Mac OS or Linux. Secure your login and protect your Gmail, Facebook, Dropbox, Outlook, LastPass accounts, 1Password, and more.
- FITS USB-C PORTS: Once registered, each service will request you to insert the YubiKey PC security key into a USB-C port and tap to gain access. The extra compact size is designed to stay in the port so you can stay connected and secure anywhere.
- DURABLE AND SECURE: Extremely secure and durable, YubiKeys are tamper resistant, water resistant, and crush resistant. The YubiKey 5C Nano USB is designed to protect your online accounts from phishing and account takeovers. Proudly made in the USA.
- MULTI-PROTOCOL SUPPORT: The YubiKey USB authenticator has multi-protocol support including FIDO2, FIDO U2F, Yubico OTP, OATH-TOTP, OATH-HOTP, Smart card (PIV), OpenPGP, and Challenge-Response capability to give you strong hardware-based authentication.
Quite frankly, this is nothing more than just a USB Type-C version of the 5 Nano. The reason why we put it up here is because Yubico is a very trusted password manager and the latest USB-C key makes it more convenient especially for the MacBook Pro and Air users.
- EMERGING SUPPORT - It is highly recommended to visit Yubico's website for understanding of the full capabilities of this security key before purchase.
- DUAL CONNECTORS: The Yubico YubiKey 5Ci is the first multi-protocol hardware authenticator with dual connectors for Lighting and USB-C ports. With the lighting connector side, you can protect your iOS mobile apps and log in with just one tap.
- COMPATIBILITY: The Yubico 5Ci features the YubiKey 5C functionality on one side that works with thousands of apps to keep accounts secure. The Lightning Connector side is leading the way in innovation and is currently compatible with a limited number of applications.
- FIDO: The YubiKey 5Ci is FIDO certified and works with Google Chrome and any FIDO-compliant application on iOS, Windows, Mac OS or Linux. Secure your login and protect your Gmail, Facebook, Dropbox, Outlook, LastPass, 1Password, accounts & more.
- MULTI-PROTOCOL SUPPORT: This YubiKey has multi-protocol support including FIDO2, FIDO U2F, Yubico OTP, OATH-TOTP, OATH-HOTP, Smart card (PIV), OpenPGP, and Challenge-Response capability to give you strong hardware-based authentication.
If you do want a more specialized version of the two Yubico keys mentioned above, then the 5Ci is the best option. It has a 2 factor authentication to further make your security better than usual plus it has both the Type A and Type C versions depending on what you want to insert into your Mac.
We do think that the OnlyKey Manager is the best password manager for Mac simply because it makes authentication easier while keeping you safe from malicious attackers. It is quite cheap too. The Kensington Fingerprint Key Reader is when you want absolutely nobody else to read your card. The 3 versions of YubiKey will depend upon your preference. If you like something almost microscopic and low-profile, the 5 Nano is a great one. If you prefer a key that is more convenient for your Mac, then perhaps the YubiKey 5C is better since it has a Type-C plug. The 5Ci is if you are indecisive between the two and would like an OTG version of the Yubico key.
Is a password manager worth buying?
If you are running a huge business or always working on a public device, yes it is.
What is the purpose of the password manager?
The main goal of the password manager is to make sure nothing can breach your important credentials such as username and password as well as credit card numbers. It erase your digital footprints.
Are my data online in danger?
As long as you leave your credentials online, nobody is safe. Any malicious attacker can breach your profile and may do all sorts of vile actions towards your data.
What does a password manager do besides protecting my data?
It also specializes in turning all your logins more convenient with just the insertion of the key. You may go to any site and the key will log-in for you.
Do password managers delete viruses?
Password managers are solely for the purpose of keeping your data safe. If you need to get rid of malware or virus, use an anti-virus software.